Marshall Chapter was granted a charter by the National Society
Daughters of the American Revolution on November 18, 1903. The
chapter was named in honor of Mary Marshall wife of the the Chief
Justice, John Marshall of the United States Supreme Court, for whom
the city of Marshall, Michigan was named.
The first meeting of the chapter
washeld at the home ofMrs. William F. Church at 303 N. Kalamazoo Avenue. She had been
appointed chapter regent by Mrs. Cornella Cole Fairbanks, the
President General of the National Society Daughters of the American
revolution. The chapter officers were Regent, Mrs.
William F. Church; Vice Regent, Mrs. William R.Lewis; Secretary, Mrs. Mrs.
James M. Redfield; Treasurer, Mrs. William H..Porter; Registrar, Mrs. Norris
J. Frink; Historian, Mrs..Stephen V. A. Lepper. Mrs.
Redfield had been a member ofthe OneidaChapter in Utica N.Y.
lived there; and upon her return to Marshall, she was instrumental
in organizing the Mary
Marshall Chapter. There were
fifteen charter members.
The second meeting was at the home of Mrs. Frink, at thecorner of Grand and Prospect Streets. An American flag hung across
the entrance to the grounds. The house was softly lighted with
"One of the first programs among many given by the chapterwas in honor of George Washington's birthday. It was held at the
highschool assembly room
onJuly 4,1904. The
program consisted of selectionsby the high school orchestra, readings, and addresses. It was a lengthyand ambitious undertaking. The
printed program called it a "PatrioticExercise." In1907
the program was held at the former Empire theater.
were always brilliant, sparkling, or gala events. Four chapters
within the county held a "season of beauty" on October 29,1906.
About eighty members attended, enjoying a menu of
grapefruit juice, New England
clam broth, relishes, creamed sweet breadsin stars and stripes baskets,'
breast of chicken,
sweet potato croquettes,South Carolina punch, DAR salad, continental ice cream, grandmother' s
cake and national wafers with coffee."
Our Chapter Home
Governor's Mansion Museum
612 S. Marshall, MI
Currently the home of the Mary Marshall
Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, the Governor's
Mansion was built in 1839 with the hopes that it would become the
governor's home if Marshall were selected as the state capital.
Visions of a State Capital
In the late 1830s and early 1840s
there was much discussion about Marshall becoming the
capital of Michigan.
These expectations were based on certain
arrangements by those in power whereby certain mutual benefits were
to accrue along the line of the Old Territorial Road. Ann Arbor was
to get the University, Jackson the prison, and Marshall the capital.
A large area was set aside on the south side
of town that was financed locally and named Capital Hill. So sure
was the town of its selection that an area was named Capital Square.
Lots in this section were sold for fantastic prices and it was
expected that the Capitol would face Marshall Avenue in a location
later occupied by the B. E. Henry Building.
During this period J. W. Gordon settled in
Marshall and ran for lieutenant governor of Michigan in 1840. He won
and when Governor Woodbridge left the governors office for the US
Senate in 1841, Gordon become acting governor of Michigan. Mr.
Gordon had purchased land in Marshall and had built a large house
across the street from the land proposed for the Capitol. This house
has been referred to as the "Governor's Mansion" since erection in
Web hyperlinks to
non-DAR sites are not the responsibility
of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.